Preposition

Share:
In this lesson i wll discuss the following questions:
* What are preposition?
* About their uses?




Prepositions



Lesson 9


Prepositions of place


1. in, at, and on are the most common propositions of place.
Words we use to say where something or someone is or where an action takes place :

I was in the kitchen when you phoned.

I'll be at home from seven this evening.

The keys are on the kitchen table.

2. Here are some additional examples of prepositions of place.

I was outside the building.

I could see people inside it.

Your keys are under the table.

There were clouds above us.

A man in a suit was sitting next to/beside me and a girl was sitting
opposite me.

There is a tree before of the house.

The drummer was behind other musicians.

Look at the following examples:


1. We use in with streets,cities,districts and countries:

She lives in Eskaton/ in Dhaka/ in Bangladesh.

We use in the with regions (the north, etc.):
They live in the south of Spain.

We use at with addresses:

I live at 20, New Eskaton.

2. We use in the with rooms:
My mom is in the kitchen now.

We use in a/an /the/my, etc. with other enclosed places:

She gave me the Letter in an envelop.

My dresses are in the cupboard.

We use on the with surfaces:
There was dust on the floor.

The books are on the table.

We use on the second floor, etc. to talk about part of a building:

My flat is on the third floor.

3. We tend to use at reception, at work, at school, at university to speak regarding  about being within the place where we live, work, or study:

I was at work/at home yesterday.

Sabit is at school and he will be taking his exams soon.

But we say in hospital, in prison to talk about a patient or a prisoner in those
places:

Fatema is very ill and she is in hospital.

4. We use at the to describe being in or using a building:

Some friends met me at the airport.

You can buy this at the super market.


Now, we will learn different uses of prepositions. Read the following
examples with your partner and try to find out the differences.

Prepositions of movement


1. Look at the sentences about movement:

He walked out of the house.
He got into his car.
He drove across the road.

He drove under a bridge.
He drove through a tunnel.
He drove along the motorway.

He drove up a hill.
He drove down the hill
He drove around the corner

He drove onto a ferry
He drove off the ferry
He drove towards the city.

2. We use these phrases to talk about transport and travelling:

by car/train/plane/boat/bus/taxi

  • I go to work by car.
  • We went home by bus.

on foot


We went to the nearby market on foot.

in the /my, etc. car

  • We went to the station in our car.
on my, etc. bike
  • He goes to work on his bike.

on the train/plane/bus/boat

  • She travelled to Chittagong on the train.

in a taxi

  • She went there in a taxi.



★Next,I will talk about Examples Of Preposition  



Also read this:
* Parts Of Speech
* Noun
* Countable Noun
* Uncountable Noun 
* Adjective
* Verb
* Adverb
* Types Of Adverb 



No comments